Tuesday, February 2, 2010

8:22

8:22

Just a number right?

About six months ago, 8:22 was just another number; I never thought anything of it.
It was a time on the clock, a date on the calendar, a scripture reference… but there was no significant meaning to it. It was just another number.

Then six months ago, 8:22 became more than just a number.

Almost seven months ago, I became employed at a small law firm here in Tulsa as a receptionist.
I go in at 8:30 and I'm done at 5:00 with a one hour lunch break from 12-1:00. There's nothing special about my job.
I sit at a desk right at the door. I answer the phones all day, do the filing, pay the bills, make the coffe, get the newspaper, etc.

8:22 was still just a number to me. No significance. Just a number.

About four months into my job I was on my way to work, and noticed that the clock said 8:22.

Typically this isn't a big deal. It means I still have eight minutes to get to work, and I'm typically still there about 3-5 minutes early.

At 8:22 I'm usually driving under the bridge by 31st and Sheridan, meaning I'm less than a mile away from work. I've got time, it's only 8:22.

On that day however, it stopped my thoughts.

8:22

Just a time right?

Typically, 8:22 wouldn't mean anything to me. Except that I realized that almost every morning as I get to the bridge near 31st and Sheridan, I happen to look at my clock. I could look at it and it be almost any time. But I realized something. I hardly ever look at the clock at 8:20. I never look at the clock at 8:21. There's a few times I've looked at the clock at 8:23. But almost every morning when I pass under the bridge and switch lanes and look at the clock, it's 8:22.

Coincidence? It could be.

Now lets switch gears for a moment.

I'm not usually a person that dreams. If I do have a dream, it's something completely meaningless. It's typically a dream about work, or about my family or friends. Something that makes absolutely no sense, and I usually forget about it within the first thirty minutes or so of being awake.

However, five months ago I started having these recurring dreams of being pregnant and some of being a new mother.

Now, I'm not pregnant. I'm not married. I'm not engaged. I'm not even dating right now.
And yet, here I am having constant dreams (at least two per month) of being pregnant, or being a new mother.

After waking, I don't remember much detail. I just know that I'm always very pregnant, or have a newborn. I never remember any names or faces. The only other thing I ever remember is that I'm blissfully happy.
Seem odd?

To make things better (or worse) I noticed that the day after I have the dream, I'll be out of the house (on lunch break, shopping, etc.) and will find myself in the presence of at least five women that are either very pregnant, or have a newborn. Once, they were all in the same room.

Creeped out? So was I!

After a while, I ended up talking to my sister about it.

She got all excited saying that there's so many stories that she's hear where girls dream of being pregnant and all the cool deep meanings behind their dreams. That G-D birthed something really amazing through them, and they all became aware of what G-D was doing because of these dreams.
She told me to be aware and try to gather as much detail from the dreams as possible. To write down the dreams right after I woke up to see what G-D was trying to tell me.

So I did.

I had another dream about being pregnant.

Yet as much as I thought about it… I could never get any details from my dreams except that I knew I was very far along in the pregnancy, or I had a newborn.

Okay. No big deal.

I stopped having the dreams.

One month - no dreams.

Two months - no dreams.

Christmastime - I had another dream.

Only it wasn't just me this time

. My older sister who was sharing my room over Christmas break had a dream of being pregnant, which has never happened before, and it happened the same night I had my dream.

A little weird - and kind of flipping awesome!

Right, so fast-forward.

A few weeks ago, about a month ago now, I had another dream of being pregnant.
No new details. Just very pregnant.

Go to work that morning. I'm driving under the bridge near 31st, changing into the left-lane, and happen to look at the clock. 8:22. Of course…

I went to work. It was a busy day. I had no time to speculate on the possible meanings of my dreams or the mysterious number 8:22.

That afternoon I went to lunch at Pei Wei.
Now Pei Wei happens to give you two fortune cookies with every meal that you get to go.

That day I opened my fortune cookies.

You know how on the back of the fortune, they give you a word and then show you how to pronounce it in Chinese?

The first word I got was "Daughter."

Okay… weird.

I took a picture and sent it to my sister.

She called me excited wanting to talk about it.

As we're talking, I open my second fortune cookie.

The word was "gift" and the fortune said "A wise man never ignores the simplicity of a child."

WHAT??

So we start talking about it some more, and I'm driving back to work, and looked at the clock.
Now, the clock didn't say 8:22, but looking at the clock while talking to my sister about my dreams kind of jolted my mind a little.
I interrupted her and asked her if she knew of any meaning behind the number 8:22.
She didn't.

After talking a little bit more, we hung up. About 30 seconds later as I'm walking into the office, I get a text from her that says "Rom 8:22" then another that said "I don't know what it is, but I'll look it up."

Well I didn't want to wait.

As soon as I got to my desk, I looked it up online and immediately called my sister and read it out loud to her over the phone.

Romans 8:22-25 (The Message)
"All around us we observe a pregnant creation. The difficult times of pain throughout the world are simply birth pangs. But it's not only around us; it's within us. The Spirit of G-D is arousing us within. We're also feeling the birth pangs. These sterile and barren bodies of ours are yearning for full deliverance. That is why waiting does not diminish us, any more than waiting diminishes a prengnant mother. We are enlarged in the waiting. We, of course, don't see what is enlarging us. But the longer we wait, the larger we become, and the more joyful our expectancy."

We sat there for a good twenty seconds in complete silence before bursting into laugher (and a few tears.)

G-D is so amazing!

All of a sudden, months of dreams of being pregnant, and months of looking at the clock right at 8:22 come together in these three simple verses!

And it all made sense!

G-D is telling me that the longings and desires that I have been hiding deep within me for so long are now ready to come forth. There's no holding them back now. They're coming forth, and I can't stop it. I can't hide them any longer. It's past the time of lumpy sweatshirts and empire waist dresses. It's past the time of a job that keeps me behind a desk with my nose buried in a book.
It's time to push forward! It's time to pursue those desires that G-D has placed deep within my heart! It's time to bring those forth! And I'm so ready!

Praise G-D! I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment